(A tour through the mesmerizing glimpses of Guruvayur town)
Guruvayur is a myriad of colourful deities and rich traditions, interwoven into the lives of the simple folk that inhabit the land. If you wish to delve deeper into the rich culture and history of Kerala, or experience true spirituality at its ultimate heights, this is the place you must visit.
Guruvayoor offers very good quality accommodation for tourists/visitors wishing to stay and tour the locality. The grandest attraction is of course the Guruvayur Temple , considered the “DWARAKA” of the south. Legend has it that Sri Krishna, foreseeing that Dwarka would be drowned into the sea one day, shifted the idol of Lord Vishnu in his magnificent form to Guruvayoor, forming the temple we see today. The idol is believed to have been present throughout the time of the various incarnations Lord Vishnu took to fight evil from time to time. Today, everyone in Guruvayoor, irrespective of caste and religion, believe the deity of Guruvayoor Temple to be their savior in the event of another ‘rise of evil’ threatening the world again.
<>Guruvayoor Hotels Online Booking
Unlike what many think, though Guruvayoor is a small town built around the Guruvayoor temple premises, there are so many other attractions to this place, besides a temple visit.
- Krishnanattam: Artists with livid expressions and swaying movements dancing to the music of percussion instruments and the resonating sound of singers, this ancient dance performance is actually a live demonstration of each event in Sri Krishna’s life. The ambience is out-of-the-world with the bright sophisticated make-up of the artists and the emphasis on the myriad of expressions that pass the artist’s face as he tells the tale of Krishna in all resplendent glory. Daily performed at the temple in the evening, this is a must-watch.
- Elephant Sanctuary: Here some 80 odd elephants, all owned by the temple, are kept and cared for. You can witness the daily routine of these magnificent creatures, how they are bathed and fed, and sometimes taken out for religious processions.
- Chavakkad Beach: Just 5 km from Guruvayoor town, this beach is bordered with coconut groves and palm trees and offers visitors a most pleasant atmosphere of rare natural beauty, sun-kissed golden sands and scintillating sea waters. Not to-be missed opportunity.
- Authentic South-Indian dishes: Relish the taste of Malayali cuisine prepared in local restaurants and savour a variety of delicacies unique to this town.
- Photography: This town is home to beautiful natural landscapes, giving scope for some breathtaking photography. The temples with their intricate architecture, wall sculptures and paintings, and the various vibrant cultural performances also offer experiences no photographer can resist capturing.
Guruvayur is a must-stop destination for any one touring Kerala, to experience the divine ambience and vibrant cultural performances. The Guruvayur Temple seems to work its charm in maintaining an ambience of peace and happiness in this town, where all people irrespective of creed or religion live a harmonious life following age-old traditions to the present date.